Monday, June 1, 2009

Here's A Unique Technique!

Say that ten times fast! Unique Technique. I found this while surfing and thought it was......different! I'm going to try this a little later on today, but wanted to post this before I couldn't remember where I found it! This was found on Scrapbooks and Cards Today on-line magazine.

Enjoy!
Lori

3T's with Allison Cope

Allison Cope is back again with us this week to share an inexpensive project with you that uses stuff you already have at home. Here is Allison's project tutorial:

Your Supply List:



Paper casting 1

- toilet tissue
- water
- paper towels
- rubber or acrylic stamps

Step One:
Grab your supplies.
Step Two:
Paper casting 2

Fold 4-5 pieces of toilet tissue on the scored lines to create a square of tissue. If you use single ply tissue, add a few more squares.
Step Three:
Paper casting 3

Take your folded squares and run them under the tap. Moisten the tissue but don't completely soak it. Ring out the paper to get rid of the excess water.
Step Four:
Paper casting 4

Flatten your wet tissue out to its square, flat shape again. Lay the wet tissue over top of your stamp.
Step Five:
Paper casting 5

Using your finger tips, lightly press the wet tissue into all the details of your stamp.
Step Six:
Paper casting 6

OPTIONAL: CAREFULLY tear the edges of your wet tissue for a torn look. Be careful not to tear too closely to your raised image.
Step Seven:
Paper casting 7

Using your paper towels, LIGHTLY and CAREFULLY press on the wet tissue to absorb any excess water in your paper.
Step Eight:
Paper casting 8

Carefully remove your embossed wet tissue from your stamp. I placed mine on a piece of paper towel on a cookie cooling rack. Let it dry! Repeat steps as desired for any of your stamps! Make plenty because you'll need to experiment!

Here is what they look like dry.... they are crisp, white and opaque.
Paper casting 9


Now create some thing with your paper cast image!!!!
You can also alter them too....
- colour them with markers
- paint them
- spray them with coloured mists
- add glitter or bling
- distress them
- ink them
- experiment.... that's the fun part!
Here's what I made using one of my paper posies.... I rubbed mine with a little sponge applicator with some distress inks on it.
Paper casting 10 card 800

Just a Little Hello
by Allison Cope
supplies: cardstock: Bazzill; patterned papers: BasicGrey, Prima Marketing; stamp: myStamp BOX; jute string & ink;gems: Heidi Swapp; butterlfy punch: Martha Stewart; other: ribbon, button, thread. Stampin' Up!;

22 comments:

Darlene said...

I love your idea and will be cranking them out right away. I tried a similar trick
with a three dimensional twist. taking 4 sheets of tp and spray misting them,
I pushed it into a candy mold and let dry. They are also adorable.












t

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing thank you for having this simple but really affective idea to bring more texture on to cards or home decor thank you again.

Suddenlysue said...

That is a fun technique. I will never look at toilet paper the same way. Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Just learning and need all the help I can get. Thank you for a great idea. - Linda K

Norma Rae said...

This can also be done with decorative napkins. The designs also make them unique. I have always added a little glue to my water.

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea!

tehmonica said...

💖👍

tehmonica said...

Love your idea! Tks!

Anonymous said...

I love this technique!

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read your post...I tried it. It's still wet but it looks great! I'm anxious to try it on a card!!! I will definitly try it with my other stamps. Thank you so much for posting this terrific idea!

Unknown said...

Love the idea. Tried it. Fabulous!
Thank you for posting.

Cindy Donaldson said...

Ive done similar with cookie presses but soaking paper towels and tearing them up and then with extra water put in the blende making a pulp out of it then squeezing out the excess water by putting in a strainer- :: important to line the strainer with gauze or fine mesh or a mess will ensue. Then press into the image and press all onto paper towels to flatten back/bottom. Then to dry you can microwave the wet paper. You can also tear and soak newspaper but is lots of messy ink, or just use new print plain paper. The pulp paper can be made thicker. Use ink pads to color or markers or spray paint light layers at a time.

LucyB said...

I can see some ornies for the Christmas tree comming at my house using this technique.

Anonymous said...

You can also run your damp sheets of t.p.through the Cuttlebug in an embossing folder of your choice. It squeezes out the excess water. Then gently tear around all the edges to the size you want.

Olive o 0 said...

Love your idea, must have a go at this. As the saying goes learn something ever day

Elduhan said...

Wonderful idea! I wonder. What would happen if I attach this to a finished paper mache project - like a jar or a vase - as an added texture? Will try and let you know.

Debit said...

Did you know this technique has been around 20-25 years? I think after each layer dried we put embossing powder on and then heated it.

Anonymous said...

I used the water, mixed with a little glue. Used the back of a depression glass dish which had a medallion design on it. Allowed it to dry on the dish, and had a very stiff medallion which I cut and used as a framed centerpiece for a card.

Frankinscience said...

I'd like to see your example Anonomous!

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to make some embossed stamps from TP!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful to know. I can certainly afd this to my crafting. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Good suggestion. Thanks for sharing