Sunday, June 7, 2009

Look What I Made!





















It's not what I originally planned to make today, but when I was reorganizing my shelf space (just bought a book shelf at a yard sale yesterday) and realized I needed storage for my accumulating stack of paper, I discovered I had 2 Priority boxes from the post office. I had a brilliant idea to alter them to hold my paper. I'm sure this technique has been done before, but instead of researching it, I just dove in, took pictures as I went along and tried to create understandable directions for you. If you have any questions, do ask me! So here's what you need to do to create your own Altered Priority Box.

1. Gather your supplies: Priority Box (free from the post office), Ruler, Scissors, 3 sheets of 12x12 patterned paper, pen or pencil, and a glue stick.

2. Cut the box using these dimensions: Start at the front of the box (narrow side facing you). Measure up from the bottom 7 1/2 inches. Mark the spot. Turn box to the opposite narrow side (the back) and measure up from the bottom 12" and Mark. From this 12" mark, measure across 3" and mark. From this 3" mark, angle the ruler until it meets the 7 1/2" mark. Draw a line and cut. Do the same on the opposite side of the box. Toss away the remnants. There will be about a 1" lip on the top in the back. Fold back and cut off.

3. Decorate the box using the patterned paper.

4. Cut a strip 4" x 7 1/2". Fold in 1/2" from each side so the strip measures 2 3/4" x 7 1/2". Glue to the front of the box.

5. Cut a strip 4" x 12". Fold in approx. 1/2" on both long sides so the strip measures 2 3/4" x 12". Glue to the back of the box.

6. Place a 12x12 piece of paper against one side of the box. Crease the paper at the cut angle. Remove and cut along the crease. You will need one 12 x 12 sheet for each side. Glue in place.
Repeat for the opposite side.

7. If you choose, you can ink or paint the edges for a distressed look.

8. Place a tag on the front as a label, if you choose.

I apologize if any of this is confusing. I know what I'm trying to say and I know how to do it, but on certain projects, sometimes it's hard to convey the message. Let me know how it works out for you!

Good Luck!



<!--[if !supportLists]-->
<!--[if !supportLists]-->

No comments: