Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What I'm Working On.....

Good Morning!
I am working on a mini album that is quite unique and different! I was browsing through some tutorials on You Tube the other day and came upon a mini album created by the wonderful and fantabulous Laura Denison of The Paper Trail. She is so talented! I just love her work. Anyway, I had to try this on my own. So far, so good, although 'preparing' the pages was time consuming. Read on.......

Look at the 'white' page. Look closely. Can you tell what it's made from?

These pages are made from 'melted' plastic shopping bags! Truly! Of course, the page above has been distressed with 4 different types of paint to give it an aged look and to make it look more like paper. I thought this was so cool!

Laura demonstrated how to cut the 'handles' off of any plastic bag (sack), cut off the bottom seam and then cut off the front piece that has the store label, etc on it. You then fold it in half, in half again and then into thirds. Once that's done, you put the 4x6 (approx) rectangle between two sheets of a brown paper. Set your iron on a low or polyester setting and just iron! DO NOT apply iron directly to the plastic bag as you will destroy your iron! You should go to her tutorial on You Tube Paper Bag Demo to see how she prepares the bags. I admit, though, that I had to play around with my iron to find out just what setting would work for me. All irons are different and you'll have to see what works best for you.

If you want to see what mini album she made from these bags, go to Mini Album Demo

I'm typing this from my daughter's computer as my keyboard just died. I need to buy another one tomorrow, so I'm unable to upload any more pics of the album I'm working on. Heading off to work in an hour, so you'll have to check back tomorrow evening to see what I posted!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That is so very cool and what a great way to recycle those shopping bags. Looking forward to seeing the pages you made. Have a great day! Tammy :)

laterg8r said...

what a cool, green idea :D