Sunday, May 20, 2012

Guess Who I Saw?......Part 2:

Yesterday I posted s 'sneak peek" about my trip to the store "Absolutely Everything" in Topsfield, Mass. to take a class by the very talented Tim Holtz.   It was a great class, full of fun, laughter, and wonderful techniques.  

Absolutely Everything is an average sized store owned by Kate in the little village of Topsfield in Massachusetts.   And, the store lives by its name.  They carry-----EVERYTHING!   Kate is a huge fan of Tim and has had him at her store for 3 or 4 years now (I could be wrong on this number--it could be more!).  Anyway, he usually comes for the entire weekend at this time of year.  I couldn't make it last year, but was determined to go this year.  And it was so worth it! 

As mentioned in yesterday's post, my daughter and I got up early to head down to Mass.  When we arrived, there were about 5 ladies in line.  This was about 7:45 a.m.   As I was shutting off my car, this other car pulls up right next to me and who is in it?   Kate, along with Tim and Mario.  We got out of the car at the same time as them and they were just so down to earth.  They said good morning and walked along with us to the entrance.   My daughter was speechless.  Me, well, I got kind of tongue-tied and said some mundane thing like:  "So, how do you like (almost said Maine which is where I live) Massachusetts"?  (what?!)  I felt---stupid!  It was about 60 degrees at that time of day and dry (so we thought), but Mario thought it was humid.   Well, living in Arizona where it's very dry, it probably did feel humid to him. 

Anyhoo---they went inside while we waited in line.   They left the door open for air flow and we noticed that they were stalking up on everything that is "Tim Holtz".   Here's one picture:  (sorry for the quality).

Wouldn't you know it, but on such an occasion when I need my camera to work, it doesn't!  Aarrgghh!  Just about every picture came out blurry.  I was sooooo mad!!

We were about 6 or 7 in line. 

Of course, within a half hour, there were many more--nearly 90 to be exact!  Because we were so close to the front of the line, we were able to find a good seat---I grabbed one right up front! 
That's my seat with the green jacket and my daughter sitting across from it.  This was while the ladies were still streaming in to find seats.

Tim was gracious enough to autograph our copy of his book "A Compendium of Curiosities (Book 2)" before the class started.  Of course, my photo is blurry, but I think it had to do with the gal who was trying to take the pic.  I think she was a bit nervous.

  
                Signing the book  

Finally, class started and it was great!  I learned some great new techniques including one that uses a very INVENTIVE tool by Tim.  You'll never guess what it is!  And it's not very expensive---another plus!  Ready?.....................



A Pen!
Honest!  A real pen, but it has to be a clickable one.  All you  do is press the tip gently into the foil and twist to create a faux rivet!  Cool, huh? 
And this is what we made:


The photo above is Tim's, not mine. 
 Below is my version:

Do you see all the circles with a tiny pin point one in the center?  Those are the faux rivets created by the pen.  Ingenious!   

The name of the class was "Heart and Soul".   The class incorporated a paper mache' heart, a square configurations box,  Ranger's Metal Foil Tape Sheet, sprocket gears, word keys, a lightbulb, chain tassel,  and other embellies.   This class wasn't as difficult as it looked.  I loved the new techniques so much that I'm now inspired to use the foil on wood shapes, frames and anything else I can find and see how I can transform them. 

I so wish that I could've taken the other classes offered over the weekend but I had to drive back up to Maine to go to work for 6:00 plus there weren't any cancellations.  These classes fill up fast!  Matter of fact, there were ladies from Colorado, Canada, Florida, North Carolina, and Tennessee, to name a few.    I can't believe that so many would come from so far away to Kate's little store in Topsfield, Mass.

Here are more pictures of the day:
Tim acting like a goofball while our picture was being taken. 

Of course, we had to have a pic with Mario!

Jackie working on her foil heart.

Me adding Ranger Alcohol Inks to my foiled heart.

Ahh, the hands of a true artist!

Tim teaching

Tim had to fix a wheel on the box.  These wheels
were not easy to put on!


And one last picture because I thought the first one had come out awful.  Well, this one is worse!  oh well.  The young woman taking it, admitted afterward that she takes horrible pictures.  (g-r-o-a-n)

Thank you, bloggers, for stopping by.  As Tim would say:  "Always stay curious!"



1 comment:

Marla Rizzo said...

How awesome is that! Looks like you girls had a great time! He seems like such a nice guy. Thanks, Marla